Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Ucross Foundation 3/07




During March of 2007 my company The Foundry was in residence
at the Ucross Foundation in rural Wyoming creating Imprint.
During this period me, as well as the rest of our collaborators
took the time each day to embark on a daily practice that helped
to inspire and focus and primarily to engage with the extraordinary
landscape and history of the region. In my case, I walked in the
mornings. At a certain point within the walk I would stop, take in
the immediate snapshot of where I was and jot down quick
observations based on the near/distant. From that location I
would then count the steps back to a certain end point, often
not based on returning home, but a specified end point. Something
about measuring a distance of space within the total space of a
journey resonates with me. Spaces within spaces - distances within
distance. Measurable performances within a daily activity. Activity
as performing action, logging the action as performing memory.
This is one of my daily logs of such a walk.

Ucross Foundation, Ucross Wyoming – day 3
3/8/07

7:30am walk

up dirt road into hills across the road.

Step count on return – last portion of walk only:
547 steps – from last portion of dirt road leading to highway
to Ucross population sign posted on highway.

Observations:
*Big puddle – thin ice
*old barn new roof
*barb wire / aged wood
*frozen animal tracks
*air conditioner system mounted on bunker block